Beers worth a try at Morley Rugby Club

Joshn Holmes, Jessica Cholmoondeley & John Rigby were ready with the beers at the festival.

Joshn Holmes, Jessica Cholmoondeley & John Rigby were ready with the beers at the festival.

The drinks were flowing at Morley Rugby Club over the weekend at their beer festival.

The rugby club on Scatcherd Lane, featured 20 real ales and 10 fruit ciders, which were enjoyed as people watched Morley 3rds take on Cleckheaton 3rds.

Kicking off on Friday the festival included the first rugby match between Morley 3rds v Cleckheaton 3rds.

The first team were then in action against National 2 North club Hull on Saturday, with Morley Cavaliers taking on Wheatley Hills 2nds.

Throughout the packed weekend, there was lots of live music filling the air around the pitch and plenty of food available.

Match report:

Morley RUFC teams warmed-up for the new season with several games played as part of their Beer and Rugby Festival.

The crowds at Scatcherd Lane were treated to some good rugby and a combined first and second team overcame the challenge of a plucky Wheatley Hills side.

Morley ran in no fewer than 11 tries and newcomer Luke Watts led the scoring as he celebrated a hat-trick.

The deadlock was broken on five minutes through winger Andy Funnel and 15 minutes later, Clough scored the first of his two tries.

Alex Keanney, from the development squad, added Morley’s third on 27 minutes and Funnel added another soon after.

Immediately from the restart, Morley recycled the ball well and flanker Luke Watts made a devastating burst to go over, and Clough added his second.

As Hills tired, Varundev Sambhi, Brandon Hannam, Watts (2) and Tom Moody added to Morley’s tally.

Morley 3rds fought back from 10-0 down at the break to beat Cleckheaton on Friday.

The visitors held on to their 10-point advantage until the hour mark when a burst from Morley no8 Dave Green led to a try and conversion.

Cleckheaton’s line was finally breached when Morley won the ball against the head on their left wing and quick hands through all the backs gave Jack Crannage just enough space to slice through the defence.

Morley had a nervous five minutes as Cleckheaton upped their game and they missed a long distance penalty attempt to nick the win.




Back to the top of the page