Man in hospital after suspected arsenic poisoning

editorial image
0
Have your say

Police issued a warning after a man was taken ill with arsenic poisoning suspected to be linked to tablets he bought on the internet.

The man was admitted to Leeds General Infirmary after falling ill 12 days ago. Tests results given yesterday showed high levels of arsenic in his system and police were alerted.

While it is expected that he will make a full recovery we are told this is unusual for the level of arsenic in his system and that consequences could have been far more serious.

Det Chief Insp Lisa Atkinson

Enquiries established that the man had been taking three different types of tablets advertised as herbal supplements for impotence. These are described as brown, red and silver tablets (pictured).

Det Chief Insp Lisa Atkinson, Head of Leeds District Reactive CID, said: “Officers are currently conducting enquiries around the supplier of these tablets and that work is ongoing.

“We have recovered a number of the tablets and they have been sent for forensic analysis which will take some weeks to complete.

“Based on what the man involved has told us we suspect the tablets may have been the source of the arsenic he has consumed and on that basis we are making people aware of the potential risk to their health of consuming similar tablets bought on the internet.

“While it is expected that he will make a full recovery we are told this is unusual for the level of arsenic in his system and that consequences could have been far more serious.”