Methodist church moves to new venue after 200 years

The Churwell Methodist Church congregation are moving to the local community centre as their chapel building has become unsuitable for services

The Churwell Methodist Church congregation are moving to the local community centre as their chapel building has become unsuitable for services

0
Have your say

It’s all change for Churwell Methodist Church as the congregation prepare to hold the first service away from their Back Green chapel in over 200 years.

The Methodists are moving meetings to Stanhope Hall community centre due to the age of the Wesleyan chapel and in the hope of attracting new worshippers to an accessible venue.

The original chapel was built in 1813, and a new Sunday school opened in 1907, later being converted into the main chapel of today.

The move has been supported by the church’s ministers, the Rev Barbara Fairburn and the Superintendent Rev David Hulme, and the last service will take place on Sunday September 20.

“We look forward to meeting in a modern building on the main road, clearly seen and easily accessible to everyone in the village.” said church secretary Mrs Raby.

We hope that people will see us and want to join in worship on Sundays, share in prayer, talk to someone, or join with us for a coffee or tea after the service,”

Occasional social events will be held on selected Saturdays in the new location, while Bible studies in members’ homes and the monthly service in Alexander Nursing Home on Elland Road will continue as before.

Sunday services at Stanhope begin on September 27 at 10.30am.

“A church is a group of worshipping people; the church has not left Churwell, we are still there to share our faith with all who come,” added Mrs Raby.