A 48-hour strike by junior doctors against controversial changes to their contracts has been suspended.
The planned walk-out from 8am on Tuesday has been called off as talks are held between the government and British Medical Association (BMA).
It was the second of three strikes called in a long-running dispute over a new contract which the BMA claims will make junior doctors work unsafe hours for lower pay.
A 24-strike involving all junior doctors except those providing emergency cover was held on January 12.
Tuesday’s action would also not have involved emergency cover medics, ahead of a full strike between 8am and 5pm on Wednesday, February 10.
The BMA said the next strike was suspended after progress was made in talks with the government.
The doctors’ union said on its website: “We are announcing this today in order to give trusts as much notice as possible so as to avoid disruption to patients.
“This decision is in line with our stated aim to ensure a safe, fair contract through negotiated agreement, if at all possible.
“The action which junior doctors across England took last week sent a clear message to the government and the negotiating team is now focusing on reaching a resolution to meet your concerns.”