A doctor has apologised for giving a 92-year-old woman a drug she was allergic to just weeks before she died.
GP Dr Philip Turner misread Alma Davey’s medical form and prescribed penicillin despite adverse reactions to the drug as far back as 1981.
An inquest is being held this week into the death of Mrs Davey, who lived in Deanfield Avenue, Morley, for 60 years before going into a care home. Mrs Davey’s family believe the medical mix-up contributed to her death on July 19 2013. Old age was first given as the cause of death.
Bradford Coroners’ Court was told by Manorcroft Care Home nurse Paula Hunt that Mrs Davey was a frail woman when admitted to the home in March 2013. She needed full nursing care, a hoist to move and some assistance with eating – but was stable during her time at the home.
On July 1, a request for a GP visit was made for Mrs Davey as she was suffering from a chesty cough.
Dr Turner, who had worked at Grove House Surgery in Batley for 12 years, attended with a medical print out generated at the surgery. On it was a list of drugs to which Mrs Davey was allergic, including penicillin, but also the words ‘no known allergies’. Dr Turner, who is now retired, prescribed amoxicillin, a type of penicillin.
When asked by assistant Bradford Coroner Dr Dominic Bell to explain the ambiguity, he said: “I can’t explain what was on the sheet.
“I can only presume I scanned it too quickly and took in no allergies as opposed to the other ones.” Speaking directly to Mrs Davey’s family, he said: “I would like to apologise for what happened.”
The hearing continues.