"Just hurry up before I die": Murder trial hears Leeds United fan's 999 call from pub car park

editorial image

A Leeds United supporter dialled 999 as he lay with fatal injuries in a pub car park and told an operator:  'Just hurry up please before I die."

A murder trial jury was shown CCTV footage of the incident in which Aaron Bellas is alleged to have inflicted fatal injuries upon Andrew Hullah outside the Shoulder of Mutton pub, in Morley.

A jury at Leeds Crown Court was told Mr Hullah, 49, was struck repeatedly by Bellas, 26, in the pub car park in the early hours of October 28 last year.

Footage was also played which appeared to show Bellas kicking Mr Hullah.

Jason Pitter, QC, prosecuting, said the men were friends and both lived at accommodation attached to the pub.

Mr Pitter said Bellas left Mr Hullah "senseless" on the ground after the attack and set about covering up what he had done.

Mr Hullah used his mobile phone to dial 999 as he lay in pain in the car park.

He told an operator: "I have got a broken ankle. I have been battered, I can't move.

"I'm laid on my back. I need somebody here now. Just hurry up please before I die."

The court heard Bellas removed CCTV camera footage from the pub and fled as police arrived.

The footage was later recovered.

Mr Pitter said it was not immediately obvious that Mr Hullah had suffered a serious head injury.

He had suffered a fracutred skull and bleeding to his brain.

Mr Hullah's condition worsened and he died six days later, on November 3.

Bellas pleads not guilty to murder and not guilty to an alternative charge of manslaughter.

Mr Pitter said the background to the alleged attack had been over the closure of the Shoulder of Mutton.

The pub had shut down weeks before the incident.

The prosecutor said Bellas's mother, Samatha, and her partner had been in charge of the pub at the time the business shutting down.

The previous landlord had sent a text a message about the collapse of the business which "had not been well received."

The jury was told Mr Hullah had been out with a group including the former landlord at the Nelson Arms to watch a Leeds United game earlier in the evening.

Mr Pitter said Bellas had gone into the pub and made threats.

The court heard people in the pub became concerned for Mr Hullah's safety.

One sent a message which read: "Aaron kicking off mate in the Nelson. He's gone home in a bad mood so be careful."

The court heard Bellas also sent a Facebook message, stating: "I'm going to kill him if he comes back here with his new best mate."

CCTV footage showed Mr Hullah returning to the pub in a taxi shortly before 1am when he was confronted by Bellas.

Mr Pitter said Bellas continued to hit Mr Hullah over the course of several minutes despite his friend not hitting him back.

After being arrested Bellas claimed he had acted in self defence.

The trial continues.