Leeds road closures following blaze at former nightclub

Roads are still closed following last night's fire at the former nightclub.
Roads are still closed following last night's fire at the former nightclub.

Road problems in Leeds city centre are continuing following a fire at the former Majestyk nightclub last night.

Roads affected include: Boar Lane in Leeds and the junctions of Wellington Street and Quebec Street where they join city square.

Traffic was moving slowly in both directions between the Mill Hill junction and the Aire Street junction. Also affecting Quebec Street between Park Place and Wellington Street, Wellington Street between Quebec Street and Bishopgate Street.

Roads connecting to the city such as Globe Road and Whitehall Road also saw slow moving cars.

Other streets affected include New Station Street between Wellington Street and Neville Street, Wellington Street between King Street and Aire Street, Neville Street between Great Wilson Street and New Station Street and Bishopgate Street.

Drivers coming into Leeds this morning were warned of major diversions around city centre due to the fire, which broke out last night at the building formerly occupied by the Majestyk nightclub in Leeds city centre.

Detectives are today liaising with the fire service to establish the cause of the fire at City Square building.

Det Insp Ian Lawrence, of Leeds District CID, said: “We are working closely with fire service investigators to establish the cause of the fire and that process is at a very early stage. It is too early to say whether the cause of the fire has been suspicious. The fire has caused significant damage to the building leaving the roof unsafe, which means it is likely to take some time before the scene can be fully examined.

“A 32-year-old man was arrested last night after witnesses reported seeing a man acting suspiciously in the area. He remains in custody at this time.

“The fire was reported at about 7.20pm last night and I would appeal for anyone who witnessed anything suspicious in the area in the time leading up to it to contact us.”

Anyone with any information is asked to contact Leeds District CID via 101 quoting log 1363 of September 30 or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

Firefighters from across West Yorkshire were scrambled to the scene of the fire at the two-storey building at the junction of Wellington Street and Quebec Street when the alarm was raised at 7.19pm.

Plumes of grey smoke could be seen emitting from the roof of the building and from a first floor window facing out onto Wellington Street but as the evening wore on the severity of the blaze escalated dramatically and it appeared that approximately a third of the roof had collapsed.

During the early response, the fire service said four firefighters were wearing breathing apparatus to tackle the flames. At least 50 firefighters were in attendance by around 9pm with 11 fire engines encircling the building.

The fire fighting operation was based in Quebec Street next to City Square to begin with and part of Quebec Street, near the building was completely blocked by fire engines.

Two hose reels were connected to water mains outside Leeds Train Station and The Queens Hotel and the tubing was trailed across Wellington Street, with traffic controlled by police officers outside the former nightspot along Wellington Street.

As the fire grew in ferocity later, the whole area around the building was locked down, allowing for extra fire engines to fill the roads. All the highways in the immediate vicinity of the building were then closed and pedestrians kept at a distance by police tape.