Man jailed after breaking pregnant girlfriend’s nose

Latest news...
Latest news...

A man who broke his pregnant girlfriend’s nose by headbutting and pushing her as she was holding her two-year-old son has been jailed.

Michael Smith, of Wide Lane, Morley was given an 18-month sentence over the attack at the victim’s home in the town.

Leeds Crown Court heard Smith, 20, was in a relationship with the young woman who was five months pregnant with his child at the time of the attack in the early hours of November 3 last year.

David Lampitt, prosecuting, said Smith and the victim had separate homes but he would stay with her on a regular basis.

On the night of the incident Smith had been out drinking at a party and returned to her home where she was in bed.

Her two-year-old son was in a cot beside her.

During the night Smith went to the bathroom and tried to get into the cot when he returned.

Mr Lampitt said Smith became aggressive when the victim tried to stop him.

He spat in her face before punching her three or four times.

He then grabbed her around the throat and she managed to kick him away.

The prosecutor said: “At that stage the attack intensified.”

Smith headbutted the mother and she was in terrible pain. She tried to get out of the room but he headbutted her again.

At that point the child awoke and she picked the youngster up.

Smith continued the attack and pushed her as she was holding her son. He then began smashing up property in the room.

The attack ended when a neighbour knocked on the door of the flat.

The woman had to undergo an operation a week after the attack as her nose was broken.

Smith said he could not recall the incident after he was arrested but accepted he must have been responsible for causing the injuries.

He pleaded guilty to assault occasioning actual bodily harm and criminal damage.

The court heard he has previous convictions for violence, including an attack on a previous partner.

Ian Howard, mitigating, said Smith was sorry for what he had done.

He said: “There is very little I can say. Happily the consequences have not been those that we so often see.”

Jailing Smith, Recorder Perrins said: “There is no getting away from the fact that this was a disgraceful, shameful attack on a pregnant woman in the middle of the night when she was with her two-year-old son.”

Recorder Perrins told Smith he had also “manipulated” the court system by not pleading guilty to the offences until he was due to go on trial.