Woman rushed to hospital after being rescued from Morley flat fire

Library picture
Library picture

A woman was rushed to hospital after being rescued from a flat fire in the early hours of this morning (Friday).

Fire crews from Hunslet were called to the semi-detached flat in Rydal Crescent, Morley, at around 3.30am.

On arrival they found smoke pouring from the rear window of the property and had to force entry when there was no answer.

A woman, thought to be in her 40s, was asleep in the flat and was rescued by firefighters before being taken to hospital suffering from smoke inhalation.

There was no working smoke alarm in the flat at the time and watch commander Dave Jobson urged people to make sure they have a detector.

He said: “If there had been a smoke detector, there is a possibility the occupant would have been alerted to the fire earlier.

“I would recommend that everybody gets one and they can be provided by the fire service free of charge.”

The fire, which had broken out in the living room, caused a small amount of damage and was tackled by three breathing apparatus wearers with one hose reel.

A positive pressure ventilation fan was used to clear the property of smoke.

Crews left at around 5am.